Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Playing with Fleece

Why is it when you have projects you REALLY should be working on, you don't want to work on them?  I really should be spending my time on the two queen sized quilts I have started, the Elephant quilt and the Layers quilt. I decided to make myself a new purse and a baby quilt.

Approx. 36"x 42"
I've never quilted with fleece before, but I thought it would make a really soft backing for a quilt - especially a baby quilt. It really could serve as the batting also. So as an experiment I decided to quilt this bold piece of fabric (Valorie Wells - Wrenly) to a fleece backing.


I decided to just quilt around the objects in the fabric


I was surprised how well the quilting showed up on the back. I hope it will still show up after I wash it.




This quilt is very soft and has a wonderful drape, perfect for a baby. The best part was no thread breaks. The only time I stopped was to refill the bobbin. I'm using 50wt Aurifil, so the bobbin holds quite a lot of thread.

The other project I worked on this week was my Queen of Hearts purse.














I love how this purse turned out. Perfect size (11-13" wide by 8" tall and 2" deep).



I also did a little FMQ work on my Express Your Love quilt. It is amazing how good working on this quilt makes me feel.

Here are this weeks stats:
In-process: (3)
Elephant quilt
Express Your Love
Layers quilt

New projects: (1)
Wrenly/fleece baby quilt

Finished (1)
Queen of Hearts Purse

I'm linking up with  Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday




Color Me Quilty!

Pat






16 comments:

  1. Love the idea of a bold whole-cloth like this with Minky - looks great Pat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! What a lovely baby quilt and your new purse is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really does look beautiful - lucky baby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilting and great idea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the inspiration! I am making some low volume baby quilts, and debating with myself over the size. I used to make baby quilts around 36x40, but lately they have grown and grown. You post tipped my decision towards smaller this time.

    How did you (or will you) bind the whole cloth quilt?

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a gorgeous baby quilt, and the quilting is beautiful. Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the fabric and quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've wondered about quilting with fleece but haven't tried it. The large prints is so great with the stitches on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, your quilting looks grea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The baby quilt looks amazing, your quilting is really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilting is lovely and I really like that Valorie Wells fabric. What a cute baby quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea for a baby quilt! Your quilting is fab. Love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so impressed. Your work is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing your fleece experience (and thread choice). Did you decide to use batting or did you leave it out?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilting looks amazing Pat, I'm wondering too about the batting. Did you use any or is it just the top and fleece back? Did you do anything different with the basting? Have you noticed any problems quilting the fleece (ie stretching or puckering)?

    ReplyDelete