Friday, February 14, 2014

Wrapped in Grandma's Love

What better than to show the finished pictures of my Grandma's quilt on Valentine's Day. My Gramma Luke was one of the "Craftiest" women I've ever known. She could knit, crochet, tat, sew and do just about any other craft fad of the day. Although, I learned to sew from many in my family, including my mom, it was Gramma Luke who spent the hours helping practice sewing when I was really little - she had endless patience with me.

I found this quilt top folded among my mother's quilt stash. I knew it was my Grandmother's (my mom's mom)work. Originally, I thought it was made in the 1940's or 50's, but it make have been pieced as early as the 1930's. I was sure that my Gramma would love me to finish it.
Although it's hard to see, I used a swirl flower quilt design down each pink row and stitch in the ditch around the little squares.

I used Aurifil 50wt cotton, beige #2000. Love this thread! I used Quilters Dream low-loft cotton batting.

I chose this fabric for the back, somehow it just works. I think I did a pretty good job piecing it (straight up the middle).

It's a bit of an odd size 68" wide X 78" long and it's pink, not really my color, but it does feel like I'm wrapped in love when I cuddle in it.
 Today, I'm linking up with FMQ Project Friday, TGIFF, Link-A-Finish Friday, and Finish It Up Friday

Happy Valentine's Day! Wrap yourself in a little love today!

Color Me Quilty!

Pat

15 comments:

  1. I am so impressed. It is beautiful. I've finished a few of my Grandmas quilts also. My mother in law also had lots f quilts I finished last year. I know she pieced some of them with her mother. You can check them out on my blog under quilt heading. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treasure! My grandmother was also handy with needle but she never made quilts, nor did she teach me how to show. We did spend many pleasant hours playing gin rummy though. I'm sure your grandmother would be delighted to see how her sewing lessons paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, finishing your Grandma's quilt!! I love the backing you chose for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. how beautiful! wonderful quilting and i'm sure your grandma would be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful finish! I know your Grandmom would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your finish. I wonder if my kids are ever going to talk about me like that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally and utterly gorgeous. The colours and the prints are so beautiful. You must be thrilled being able to finish a quilt started by your grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely work! I am so glad you finished it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so sweet and pretty in pink!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! I love your quilting. The back is stunning. Interestingly enough, I blogged about my husband's Grandmother's quilt today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brings a huge smile to my face when I hear about quilt that were passed down from within the family:) They are such special quilts!! Good for you in finishing it up. The backing is wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a blessing to have that quilt. I am sure your gramma would be pleased. The fabrics are wonderful eh! Great quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I tried to see where the backing is pieced. I finally found it - but you matched the patterns so well, I would never have just noticed it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So lovely! What a beautiful quilt to share with your grandmother, Pat. That's a great family legacy! So glad you linked up to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So gorgeous, what a find! I have some pieces of crochet made by my grandma that I treasure. It's such a tangible memory of her.

    ReplyDelete