Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Quilting ALong

I'm quilting in between picnics, I'm hosting four this week - two down, two to go. But, I really want to get my Modern Scottish baby quilt done before Sunday's picnic, so that I can send it on it's way to it's new owner.

I tried something new, I used some Aurifil invisible thread to stitch in the ditch. worked great.

 It ran really well through my machine. I used a 50wt grey Aurifil thread in the bobbin, I wasn't sure if I could use the invisible thread in the bobbin. Has anyone done that?

I think it turned out fine, well the thread worked great, I could use some practice at stitching a straight line. I guess I will get the practice because I plan on quilting straight lines of different colors to make it look like plaid.


 I stitched down the thistle really well. I really made it pop!


All in all, I think it's turning out okay. Now to start the plaid quilting.

Linking up with A Quilt Story for Fabric Tuesday and Free Motion by the River for Linky Tuesday.

Color Me Quilty!

Pat


5 comments:

  1. I have used the invisible thread in the bobbin - ONCE - I think the grey was a better idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, but mine was not the Aurifil invisible thread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to seeing your plaid made with thread! I'm sure it will imply a lot of work, though. What colors do you plan to use?
    As for the invisible thread, I didn't even know that it existed. I'm glad you showed us a close up of your stitching done with it. I find it's a good choice for stitching in the ditch. Thanks for this picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't use Aurifil, but I have used Superior's Mono-Poly in both the top and bobbin of my 14-year-old Bernina many times without issues (except monofilament thread is a pain to get threaded, even with a needle threader). I've even used it in the top of my HQ16 for free motion and straight-line quilting without any issues. There are two types of invisible thread, nylon and polyester -- stay away from nylon. And don't be afraid to adjust the tension if needed, both top and bobbin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use both Aurifil 50-Wt. thread and monofilament thread when quilting - and I have used the monofilament in my bobbin with no problems at all in my Singer Quantum Stylist - which has self-adjusting computerized tension. My one suggestion would be to wind your bobbin fairly slowly when using monofilament thread - I wind mine at a maximum of about 40% of speed to ensure no thread gets trapped at the top of bottom of the winding cycle. Love your Keltic Thistle, by the way!

    ReplyDelete